[Discuss] OT: Computer Professionals Update Act

On 01/13/2012 12:54 PM, Matthew Gillen wrote:
> What justification do you have for that?  If I'm a programmer and a
> deadline is forcing me to work off hours, how is that fundamentally
> different from the server upgrade that has to be done over the weekend?
>
> Unless you're implicitly /blaming/ the software dev for needing to work
> overtime (i.e., the deadline crunch was his fault).  I think that is a
> gross simplification of what generally happens in software development,
> and more to the point, the manager usually shares (at least) equal
> responsibility for the schedule crunches (whether it's keeping the
> requirements in flux, not being realistic about the initial schedule, etc).
>
> Regardless, personally (as a software developer) I'm currently perhaps
> lucky that I get compensated (usually with comp. time) if I put in more
> hours.
Let me put it into context. If I get a call at 2AM (assuming I work in a
bank) by a computer operator because my program failed. I go in and fix
the problem. I probably should get some compensation. On the other hand
if I am working on a project, and kind of drag my feet at the beginning
of the project and have to work extra hours to catch up, should I get
paid overtime. Projects get complicated because there are dependencies
et. al. With IT, some work needs to be performed off-hours.
Certainly in a programming situation, if the deadline is too aggressive
(or insufficient resources are acquired), then certainly those who have
to work extra hours should be compensated. Most places I have worked had
informal compensation.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix