[Discuss] home design + construction + landscape design software?

Great input on this thread.  I wanted to post a follow-up.  This is an
example of what you can do with Sweet Home 3D on Linux:
http://youtu.be/XDZP5rxYv1I

I created a model of what I'd like to do with my basement.  And then the
software allows you to save points of view and compiles those into a
virtual walk-through of the created 3-D space.  Pretty good.

I've started to checkout Google Sketchup.  I was able to successfully
install it with winetricks and then run it with wine. The biggest thing I'm
excited about with Sketchup (aside from being able to use the software) is
the fact that manufacturers are putting their products (models) onto the
Google 3-D warehouse which presumably means that it's easier for
builders/designers/homeowners to create realistic models of home
construction or renovation projects.  That's what started me on this path.
 I also hear that middle schools or high schools are using Sketchup for
projects too.

If all this 3-D stuff is interesting to you, this one webpage
http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/60-excellent-free-3d-model-websites/ summarizes
all the places you can go downloading free models.

Greg Rundlett
my public PGP key<http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x5E07A26B877CEBF6>