[Discuss] Visualizing LAN traffic

The commercial IDS system Sourcefire offers uses a "contextualization"
technology that eliminates many of the "false positives" snort generates.
 For example, Sourcefire will show you all events, but gives you the option
to only look at the ones that weren't blocked by inline mode.  Further,
data is collected per IP address and correlated.  This is helpful when you
have a single IP sending odd traffic, you can click the IP and see
everything that has happened on that IP, including logins, services,
usernames that have been transmitted, etc.  Unfortunately the commercial
IDS system lists starting at about $15,000.

One key feature that I would really like is if instead of showing me
destination IP addresses I was shown destination IP addresses + geographic
locations.  I tend to worry less about traffic to and from the US than I do
from China or Russia.  I am also more concerned with alerts generated after
hours than during regular business hours.  In short, the open source
version of Snort lacks the ability to understand business rules.  This
limitation really reduces the usefulness of Snort as a tool.

If anyone is really interested in starting to write
some customizations that would help with visualization I would be thrilled
to participate.

Chris