[Discuss] Programming vs Engineering

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 4:04 PM,  <markw at mohawksoft.com> wrote:
> If it were too abstract, how could it be anything but valueless? If it
> were specific in any way, how could it be universally valuable in the
> field? What kind of certification would be applicable for LAMP guys on
> unix and guys that uses Visual C++ and Windows? In such a way that both
> could pass with the skills relevant in their jobs?

Part I: Theory & Best Practices (abstract)
Part II: Application in your technology of choice (specific)

This is how most people learn anyway, even though most of us started
out with a specific language.  At the same time we were learning that
specific language, we were (I hope) picking up general ideas about
good and bad practice.  In fact, on second thought my I and II up
there could be swapped - it's difficult to talk about best practices
if you don't have a language to demonstrate them in.

-Dan