[Discuss] special BLU meeting Feb 1: single board computers

[A cross post from the Hardware Hacking list
(http://blu.wikispaces.com/Hardware+Hacking)]

Kurt Keville wrote:
> actually some of them are available now... like the TI Beaglebone...
> (yup, bone)..
> http://beagleboard.org/bone
>
> Looks like we will see the sun4i-crane soon as well (EOMA compliant!)
> http://rhombus-tech.net/allwinner_a10/orders/
>
> and of course, we have the Raspberry Pi Director coming to BLU on Feb. 1
> http://blu.org/cgi-bin/calendar/2012-raspi1
>
> We may also be getting the Cotton Candy (FXITech ) CEO... stay tuned...

Will any be demoed running XBMC or Ubuntu TV?

Graphics hardware in $25 Raspberry Pi Linux box outperforms iPhone 4S GPU
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2012/01/tiny-25-raspberry-pi-linux-board-reportedly-offers-twice-the-performance-of-iphone-4s-gpu.ars

  The Raspberry Pi Foundation is building a low-cost Linux computer with
  a 700MHz ARM11 CPU. The board, which is roughly the size of a pack of
  playing cards, entered the manufacturing stage last month. There will
  be two models, priced at $25 and $35, with different specifications.

  ...developers from the XBMC project demonstrated their software
  running on a Raspberry Pi board.

  The demo, which can be viewed in a YouTube video, shows that XBMC runs
  reasonably well on the Raspberry Pi hardware and is relatively
  responsive. It was able to smoothly play an H.264-encoded 1080p video.

BeagleBone board boots up XBMC Eden, shows off its media prowess
http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/25/beaglebone-board-boots-up-xbmc-eden-shows-off-its-media-prowess/

  ...some intrepid devs managed to get the second beta of Eden up and
  running on the ARM A8 dev board. The vid stutters a bit during
  playback but, overall, it's a respectable performance considering this
  is a CPU that would get laughed out of most modern smartphones.

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA