[Discuss] wiki suggestions?

On 01/29/2012 12:06 PM, Eric Chadbourne wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm going to use a wiki to share some classes on-line.  Some of the
> teachers who will be using the wiki are not very technical.  So a simple
> user interface and ease of use are important.  I also have a very strong
> preference for open source software.  Right now I'm thinking
> http://www.twiki.org/
>
> Any suggestions?

Yes.  Foswiki (Free Open Source Wiki http://www.foswiki.org) was forked
from Twiki was forked in 2008 for what I feel are some very good reasons
(you can read about them at http://foswiki.org/About.WhyThisFork ).  I
prefer Foswiki for a couple of reasons:

- I agree with their "version of history", and am on their side
idealogically

- They have an IRC channel that the developers hang out on that you can
often get instantaneous support.

- Their plugin collection is immense.

- I like their security model.  It's flexible, powerful, and easy to manage.

For you personally, A lot of the plugins are centered around making it
easier to enter data.  So you can have a table with field types like
dates and pulldown lists.  You can also do math in tables, totalling up
columns, etc.

The "Why Foswiki" page is at http://foswiki.org/About/WebHome

I'm currently running it on my home server, and as an intranet for a
nonprofit group I'm on the Board of.