[Discuss] Network Traffic Visualization

Eric Chadbourne <eric.chadbourne at gmail.com> writes:

> On 02/01/2012 03:40 PM, Daniel C. wrote:
>> - Do you have any preference for how you see it?
>
> Oh oh oh! Pick me, pick me!  Make really bad stuff bold bright pink
> and not red.  Red is good luck in some cultures.  Pink, heh, that's
> kind of funny.
>
>> Thank you all in advance!  Hopefully I'll be able to produce something
>> genuinely useful.
>

> Dude post a download on the list.  I would love to check it out and
> watch my noisy network in action.

I have mrtg set up to show me aggregate network usage at my choke-point
(router).  Sometimes it would be nice if there were a way for me to
pinpoint usage based on host and port or based on session threads.  For
example, sometimes I'd love to know that some particular host out in the
cloud is pounding on one of my poor servers and pulling 5mbps out of my
network.

Is there a good tool to be able to see that and/or visualize that?

My router is running dd-wrt, but it has limited space.  My network is
generally on a switched network so I cannot just run etherwatch or
wireshark.

> Thanks,
> Eric C

-derek