[Discuss] 4-Bay NAS

On 02/02/2012 08:38 PM, Richard Pieri wrote:
> I'm shortly going to be in the market for a 4-bay NAS box for my home storage.
>
> I don't need CPU horsepower.  This will be pure file service.  Any computing needs will continue to be supported by my Mac minis.
>
> I do want capacity, thus the desire for a 4-bay unit.  I want populate it with 4x2TB configured as RAID 5 and I can populate it myself after the fact.  It can ship empty or with a single drive that I can reconfigure myself after the fact unless I can get a good price on a fully populated chassis.
>
> Quiet operation is required although silent operation isn't a necessity.
>
> So I ask, what out there is going to fit the bill without breaking the bank?
While the WD MyBook is only 2-bay, I found the device extremely silent,
reliable, and low cost. It is also slow. We use it only for backup. I
use rsnapshot (had to install optware) with 2 backups a day and our New
York office backs us up once a day.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix