[Discuss] 4-Bay NAS

On 02/02/2012 08:38 PM, Richard Pieri wrote:
> I'm shortly going to be in the market for a 4-bay NAS box for my home storage.

	I got a intel ss4200-e a few years ago and I'm happy with it, it has 4
sata bays, gigabit ethernet, many usb ports, serial console, eSata and a
IDE for a booting device. I installed ubuntu 11.10 server edition and it
runs quite fast and quiet, although I have it most of the time in sleep
mode to save energy, waking daily up with a bios clock (RTC) interrupt
to rsync/rsnapshot or Wake-On-LAN (WOL) when I need to access it from
other computers.

	<http://ss4200.pbworks.com/w/page/5122751/FrontPage>

	It's out of production and the current price is a bit steep but if you
can find a cheap used one I can recommend it.
	I wouldn't buy it for more that $150 since nowadays you can build a
better and more powerful machine for less, as Mark recommended.

		regards,
				Nuno

--
http://slug.aeminium.org/