[Discuss] 4-Bay NAS

On Feb 3, 2012, at 3:42 PM, Tom Metro wrote:

> See prior thread:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/discuss at blu.org/msg03133.html

Yeah, I found it again after Ben prompted me.  I was asking more to find out if anything had changed significantly in the past half year.  Seems like not really.  It's still difficult to find the parts to build a 10TB server in a mini-ITX chassis.  The few with sufficient drive bays are $100-$150.  Add $100-$125 for the board, CPU and RAM.  SATA controller and boot disk for another $50-$75.  That's within spitting distance of the discounted price for that HP ProLiant N40L.

Now, what's interesting -- in that grain of salt way -- is that Backblaze uses the 3TB version of the 2TB Hitachi 5K3000 drives that are so derided on NewEgg's product page.  "Astounding reliability" they say.  Better than Seagate and Western Digital enterprise class drives.

--Rich P.