[Discuss] Comcast gets rid of the remaining analog channels

On 2/9/2012 2:37 AM, Tom Metro wrote:

> In the end it is likely a mix of things already mentioned, like more HD
> channels (clinging to the old model of overpriced channel packages),
> higher Internet speeds, and simply cost savings by getting rid of
> maintenance overhead for their analog plant.

Dropping analog has a lot of justifications, and I think they're
actually correct to do it. Dropping ClearQAM for basic channels does
not; it's no more difficult to digitally encode without encryption than
with it. I suppose it makes their support problem slightly simpler (no
guiding people through setting up their TV sets) but that's unlikely to
be a big enough deal to matter.

In Comcast's case it would make their problem with Comcast Business
customers harder, as they have a possibly significant class of customers
who currently get no cable boxes at all. Adding basic TV to any Comcast
Business internet package only costs about $5/month for any business
that does not provide viewing for the public (ie, not restaurants, bars,
fitness clubs). That package includes the same channels that they are
currently offering in ClearQAM - local broadcast, public access, and
government. They don't mention shopping channels; I wouldn't be
surprised if those come along for the ride because it would be harder to
block them than to let them through. Reference:
http://business.comcast.com/smb/services/tv/privateviewplans