[Discuss] Linux desktop consistency

Richard Pieri wrote:
> *WHICH* GNOME 2 were you comfortable with?  Red Hat's version?  Debian's
> Version?  Ubuntu's version?  It seems like a silly question, but really,
> if you put the three side-by-side you can see just how different they
> are despite being the same thing.

I'm not doubting this is the case, but can you give a few examples?

Are the differences largely superficial?

> This is simply terrible for getting non-technical users to accept
> Linux on the desktop.

Sure, it would be nice if the top 2 or 3 desktop Linux distributions had
consistent UIs, but really is this something that has a practical impact
on usability, if the largest percentage of new users being exposed to
Linux are only having to deal with one distribution, and with a
substantial probability that it will be Ubuntu?

Something that people seem to gloss over is the distinction between new
computer users and those who are just new to Linux.

Take for example this article:

http://www.thevarguy.com/2011/11/01/gnome-2-absent-from-latest-version-of-ubuntu-open-source-os/

  I recently came to a stark realization after upgrading my desktop to
  Ubuntu 11.10: GNOME 2 is gone. It's retired, deprecated, done. Like it
  or not, Unity and GNOME Shell are the way of the future. And that
  would be fine, if only I could keep from wondering: Are these new
  desktop environments really ready for the masses?

  ...Unity and GNOME Shell, having now matured quite thoroughly, both
  work well. They're fast, aesthetically pleasing and allow users to be
  very productive once they learn how to use the environments.

  But therein lies the catch: There's a lot of learning to be done to
  become familiar with Unity and GNOME Shell, and I'm not so sure
  non-geeks are up to the task.

and that blog posting on Cinnamon:
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1910

  ...In this vision, the computer works for you and makes it easy for
  you to be productive. Things aren't hidden away but easy to access.
  With easy to use interfaces, a familiar layout, advanced technologies
  and principles you've already got to to use in Linux Mint, you'll
  quickly find yourself at home.

In both of these documents the author is equating the Microsoft
Windows-popularized UI model as easier to use, with less "learning to be
done", and "a familiar layout."

But what if you aren't a Windows user? (Or GNOME 2 user?)

We're now at a point in history where it is quite likely that the only
prior computer exposure a user will have had will be with a mobile OS,
like Android or iOS.

Plus, desktop creators shouldn't be shackled by the past conventions
when crafting the next generation of desktop UIs for brand new computer
users. The mobile environment gave Apple and Microsoft the freedom to do
this, and we're now seeing them port those "clean slate" creations back
to their desktop UIs.

Unity supposedly is this same sort of a clean slate design,
incorporating lessons learned from netbooks, tablets, and other
non-desktop platforms. The marketing for unity is in stark contrast to
the two articles above, which claim it is less friendly, but of you read
between the lines the articles are talking about established Windows and
GNOME 2 users.

I haven't used Unity enough to judge it on its merits for new computer
users, because everything I've read suggests it is not aimed at me - a
user with decades of learned UI conventions, and power user needs. But
if Unity doesn't offer a better experience for brand new computer users
(or doesn't within the next few revisions), then its a failed experiment.

The point of complaint for me is: where is the UI aimed at me? This is
something Canonical either overlooked, was arrogant enough to think it
was unnecessary, or took a calculated risk to lose users such as myself
to achieve its broader goals. (Which is why I asked an Ubuntu employee
(who is also a BLU member) whether Canonical is adequately self
sufficient with its own developers, and is prepared for a decline in
community participation.)

Perhaps they'll roll out a Cinnamon option as a 2nd tier, but still
officially supported, desktop option in order to keep us.

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA