[Discuss] Linux desktop consistency

On Feb 11, 2012, at 2:16 AM, Tom Metro wrote:

> I'm not doubting this is the case, but can you give a few examples?
> Are the differences largely superficial?

I thought I did.  Put Debian GNOME, Red Hat GNOME and Ubuntu GNOME side by side and see for yourself.

> Sure, it would be nice if the top 2 or 3 desktop Linux distributions had
> consistent UIs, but really is this something that has a practical impact
> on usability, if the largest percentage of new users being exposed to
> Linux are only having to deal with one distribution, and with a
> substantial probability that it will be Ubuntu?

This is the same argument that Google uses to rationalize the fragmentation of Android UIs across many vendors' products.  I see it as nothing more than a slippery slope, because the changes are made for branding rather than usability, and that's just wrong for user interfaces.

FWIW, I can counter that myself: HTC applies Sense to all of its products so that all of its products have the same UI regardless of the OS underneath.  This is a good UI model to follow, at least for those who stick to HTC products.

It's a big, complicated mess.  Maybe either GNOME 3 or Unity is the solution.  I don't know.  I don't see it but that's just my opinion.

--Rich P.