[Discuss] Adventures in N40L Land

On 2/12/2012 10:23 PM, Tom Metro wrote:
> Any idea why they did that? I'm assuming the 250GB disk is not
> physically mounted in the RAID cage.

It is so mounted.  There really isn't space inside the chassis for more
disk than that without blocking airflow.  It's really that tight in there.

> There is a drive bay for a user supplied optical drive?

Yes.  It's a 5.25" bay with a removable panel on the front.

> The Hitachi disk was also 2 TB, no?
>
> There's a school of thought that it is best to mix vendors (or at least
> batches) in your RAID sets.

Mixing batches, yes.  Mixing vendors, no.  There are two problems with
mixing vendors.  The first is block counts.  Two different models of
"2TB" disks may have different numbers of usable blocks.  This adds a
layer of complexity to the setup.  The second is block size: 0.5K blocks
vs. 4K blocks.  Mixing these may or may not be problematic.

I chose to avoid the problematic.

> Right, which would suggest that file sharing services would be
> extensively tested on FreeNAS and among the last thing you'd expect not
> to work. Which file sharing services? Samba? Anything out of the norm in
> your setup?

SMB and AFP.  Nothing would start, and nothing abnormal since I didn't
configure anything other than the disks.

> Earlier you were asking questions about RAID-Z, so unless you are using
> Fuse ZFS, I gather you didn't go the ZFS route.

I am using zfs-fuse.

--
Rich P.