[Discuss] SCO vs. IBM hearing date changed to April 23rd at 2:30 PM Before Judge Benson

I've been following the SCO vs. IBM case for several years. It was this
case that spawned the SCO vs. Novell case where it was established that
SCO did not own the Unix IP. The SCO vs. IBM was put on stay when SCO
filed for Chapter 11. Well, they are still around and had petitioned for
a partial reopening of the case. This time, Judge Dee Benson is
presiding after a few other judges recused themselves.  Judge Benson was
the judge that presided over the Caldera vs. Microsoft suit, so he has
some familiarity with SCO. One possible issue is that he served as Chief
of Staff to Senator Orin Hatch for a couple of years. It is notable that
Orin Hatch's son is the attorney for SCO.

I don't suspect there will be much going on since much of the steam was
let out of the case with the SCO vs. Novel verdict. The IBM case was
essentially a contracts case where SCO accused IBM of violating their
Unix contracts. It was during the original SCO vs. IBM that SCO started
sending out threatening letters to Linux users. At this point, I don't
think there is much of a Linux issue with this case any longer. It just
seems to be the case that does not go away. Even the names have changed,
Darth Vader (eg. Darl McBride) has been removed and replaced by a
Chapter 11 trustee, Judge Cahn.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix