[Discuss] Striping is bad

> On Feb 18, 2012, at 9:55 AM, markw at mohawksoft.com wrote:
>>
>> Most of us have been in the business for some time now and know, wuite
>> well, the does and don'ts of technology. As we all know, sometimes you
>> do
>> things that you think will "be ok." "It won't happen to me." etc. I set
>> up
>> the system with striping (RAID0) with no redundancy.
>
> And that's your own fault.  You can't blame it on Hitachi.

If you are saying that a catastrophic failure of a storage device does not
reflect poorly upon the manufacturer, I suggest you rethink your position.

If I were driving home in a Kia and it died with no symptoms, i.e. was
running perfectly with no "check engine" light as well as properly
maintained, would you NOT blame the manufacturer?

I say that I had the drive for less than 2 years, it was lightly used. The
drive died catastrophically. It had no trouble codes and there were no
issues in the log.

Sorry, yes, for my own sake, I should not have used RAID0, but I do take
issue with the idea that a crap product does not reflect poorly on the
company that produced it.

I will assert that Hitachi drives are poor quality, I've had a 2 year 50%
failure rate in my experience. I have had 4 Samsung drives in roughly
equivalent conditions for a little longer and have had zero defects. I've
had one, and only one, western digital disk die on me in two decades, and
that was because it was in a USB enclosure that got knocked to the floor
while it was on.

Yes, RAID0 is not reliable, but I reject the idea that you can dismiss
faulty product.