[Discuss] Is this bad?

> From: discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org [mailto:discuss-
> bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org] On Behalf Of Derek Atkins
>
> > SMART isn't very smart; they left far too many meanings up to
> > the drive maker's whims.
>
> What about the ECC errors?

I find smart isn't very useful.  I've had systems giving hard drive failure
predictions for years and never have a problem.  And drives that fail
without warning.  And of course, some drives that predict failure before
they fail (like it's supposed to do.)  Unfortunately, since the probability
of each of these three possibilities has been (in my experience)
approximately equal...  it means I'm getting no value from it.

ECC is a different story.  If you have ECC ram, and you're getting errors,
then yes I suggest investigating.