[Discuss] DLNA

On Feb 25, 2012, at 5:04 PM, Tom Metro wrote:

> Doug wrote:
>> The Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) is an effort by Sony...
> And yet they didn't patent it and keep it proprietary? How unlike Sony. :-)

Hardly.  While DLNA's protocols are based on open standards, the DLNA specification for using the standards is itself private.  In snark, DLNA is Sony's attempt to monopolize UPnP and related specifications.

What I've been doing of late is actually a bit of a kludge but one that works quite well.  Windows 7 (yeah, I know) on an AMD Fusion netbook, running XBMC, connected to my TV via HDMI, with the Android remote program running on my Nook Color.  The important points are AMD Fusion APU and XBMC.  Fusion APU because it has a solid GPU that supports DXVA which means that it can decode MPEG-4 even though the CPU is woefully underpowered for decoding in software.  XBMC because it can use DXVA and can use UPnP or what have you for sources and is actually a nice home theater media player.

--Rich P.