[Discuss] Is this bad?

Dan Ritter <dsr at randomstring.org> writes:

>> > Is it on a disk separate from your recordings?
>>
>> No, it's not.  And it's been fine this way for the past 6-8 years.  It's
>> only started being an issue over the past few months.  But the recording
>> loss seems to happen simultaneously with the softirq spinning.
>> Recording comes from some HD HomeRun devices.
>>
>> I could try to separate it.  Or I could try moving mysql to another
>> machine.  I wonder -- how well would mysql run on a Plug computer,
>> either a Sheeva or Guru plug?
>
> The only computationally intensive operation is the big
> scheduler run. Apart from that, everything is I/O intensive --
> most especially commercial flagging, if you do that.

I don't do commercial flagging.  But also note I was asking about MySQL
on the Plug, not Myth.  I have four databases running on my MySQL
instance: gallery2, maia, myth, and zarafa.  I might be able to scavange
another system from my old parts, or I can set up a system on a Plug, or
I can try to add another disk to the existing myth to separate out the
videos.

> I strongly recommend moving MySQL to its own disk.

So noted.  It means finding another disk, and hoping there is room in
the chasis to install it :)

Or I can move it to another machine.

> -dsr-

-derek