[Discuss] I think my server is running out of "something"

On Mar 21, 2012, at 12:47 AM, David Kramer wrote:

> After partitioning the drive, I updated /etc/fstab to mount it and
> created the mount directory and made it 777.  When I rebooted, I got a
> message "/DATA4 NOT READY...S TO SKIP OR M TO MANUALLY CONFIGURE" or
> something close to that.  I issued the mount command, and it mounted
> fine.  Very strange.  I redid this test and got the same results.

So I wonder if the problem could be that the BIOS has to detect all the drives during the POST sequence, and that the drives aren't all spinning up and registering with the BIOS fast enough.  It's a long shot.
Check if your BIOS has options for staggered spin-up of the drives.  Also try disabling the "quick boot" option that a lot of BIOS have.
Also see if there are updated BIOS for the motherboard, and check the change log for anything that sounds like it might be related to your problem.

The device ordering might be getting messed up.  I'd start by walking though all your BIOS options and see if you find anything that sounds like it might help with HDD detection.

Of course, power problems do seem likely, but it doesn't quite add up.  Does your PS have a breakdown of the max current output on each voltage line?  3.3v, 5v, 12v?

-peter