[Discuss] Laptop memory card needs a good home

On 4/7/2012 12:36 PM, Jerry Natowitz wrote:

> Of course you can question the wisdom to putting any time and effort
> into upgrading laptops that are at least 8 years old (like my Thinkpad
> T40 and T42).

No offense, but that depends on the laptop, you know? Older machines may
be associated with older software (I've seen laptops running DOS-based
accounting applications), and there's always the retraining cost to
consider before switching users to a "better" machine that can't run the
software they're used to.

As with any upgrade, it's important to think about "ripple" effects
before buying new hardware:

* Internal IT staff may have parts and expertise for existing hardware,
but no plans to integrate newer models into their support systems.

* A new docking station might arrive without a parallel port, and cause
significant delays while USB converters are installed and tested to
connect plotters or other hardware that is unthinkably expensive to
replace: not to mention the user's impression of the planning effort
that resulted in such a SNAFU. (Don't ask me how I know).

* Some online backup services rely on disk fingerprints or other
security that will exclude a new machine and require extra-cost
conversion efforts.

The list goes on, and it's sometimes simpler and cheaper to keep the
existing hardware.

Bill

--
Bill Horne