[Discuss] Ubuntu 12.04 paravirtualiztion and Windows XP SP3

I have a Windows XP SP3 virtual machine that is running on Ubuntu 10.04
with KVM with virtio paravirtualizion enabled.

I copy that machine and its definition over to my 12.04 system, and it
crashes on startup. If I make the disks IDE it works.

I did the obligatory google searches and couldn't find anything
particularly useful. The latest versions of the virtio drivers don't
even load on the VM. Has anyone run in to this?