[Discuss] Laptop recommendation

On 04/09/2012 07:36 AM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
>> From: discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org [mailto:discuss-
>> bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org] On Behalf Of Don Silvia
>>
>> I've been tasked with finding a large (17") laptop for my parents.  I
>> can't deal with the Windows support burden any more, so on the new
>> laptop I'm going to install Linux, probably Mint.  I'm looking for
> For the parents, who you don't want to have to support...  Get a chromebook.
> I got one for my wife (and am thinking about getting one for my mom) and for
> this purpose, it's very excellent.
>

>> should have plenty of CPU and memory for their needs.  The software
>> requirements are pretty basic too, besides email and web they need skype
>> or something similar, and a personal finance program (MS Money
>> replacement) that can do check printing.  A recommendation here would be
>> great too.
> I haven't tried skype on it, but google chat certainly works.  I personally
> use quickbooks online.  I haven't explicitly tried check printing - When
> printing from a chromebook you have two basic options. You either have
> chrome installed on a laptop nearby that's connected to a printer (and you
> share your printer to yourself via chrome) or you get a cloud printer.  I
> find the first option is not reliable, so I would recommend the cloud
> printer.
>

>> I've had good luck with Ubuntu on Lenovo laptops (a few Thinkpads and an
>> S10) but they really want a 17" screen.  The Lenovo G770 looks pretty
>> nice but my web searching isn't giving me a lot of confidence that all
>> the hardware will work, especially the internal mic.
> Every place that I know of - both walk-in stores, and mail-order Dell etc,
> offer a 2-4 week return policy.  You can run your ubuntu (or whatever) live
> USB, to see how it behaves, without even wiping the internal hard drive.

I've had good luck with my HP/Compaq laptops in the past. We've always
had some issues with Dells at installfests.  Thinkpads have historically
supported Linux very well. Sometimes the latest laptops may have chips
that are not yet supported by Linux. I bought a cheap Acer Aspire One
netbook, and Linux ran on it from day 1, so you might want to look at
Acer. I would avoid Gateway and Toshiba.

If you buy from a retailer, such as Best Buy or Microcenter, I reiterate
Ned's advice, bring a bootable USB stick with a LIveCD. However, the
demo systems may have the BIOS locked. Check the return policies as well
as the warranty.  Dells, for instance, usually have a 90-day warranty
where HP used to have a full one year. Some stores have a restocking
fee. A few years ago I bought an ASUS netbook, and the wireless was very
unreliable under Windows, so I returned it to Microcenter for a full
refund.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix