[Discuss] Splunk server, splunk universal forwarder, snare agent

I have 4 VMs on a system for testing - RHEL 5.6, Win 7 64-bit
Enterprise, Win Server 2008 R2, and Win XP Pro 32-bit.

I have configured Splunk server on the 2008 box.

The major issue I am seeing is -

With Snare Agent (free version is UDP, which I'm using for testing) -
all clients send perfectly-formatted log data to the splunk server.
Out of the box, everything just works perfectly.

Testing Splunk Universal Forwarder as a client, on a different port,
as tcp (out of the box), I'm getting fragmented lines in the splunk
server - some entries are one line, others two.   Absolutely no
indication of which machine sent the details.

For some reason, Splunk configures the Universal Forwarder to send
cooked (formatted) tcp data to the server.   Splunk server shows it as
a what appears to be escape sequences.   Configuring the outputs.conf
file to set cooked data from true to false fixes that.

But still, I cannot get the universal forwarder to send complete,
usable data to any given entry to the splunk server.

I tried to also translate the snare agent config file lines to the
most equivalent from the outputs.conf docs file splunk offers on their
web site, but that didn't seem to do much.

What am I missing?

I would really like to have a tcp connection from client to server,
ideally encrypted, and splunk server is an excellent product from what
I can see.    I presume splunk universal forwarder can do the job I
want, it is a just a matter of figuring out how.  Snare Agent can do
it perfectly, but we'd need to buy it for tcp capability.

Any help on getting splunk to talk to splunk with full details of each
log entry would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Scott