[Discuss] DIY NAS

On April 9, 2012, Ben Eisenbraun wrote:
>Hmm, I thought one of the selling points for Synology is that they are
>just running Linux+md+LVM under the hood, so you can always fall back to
>stuffing your hard drives in to $RANDOM_LINUX_BOX and get access to your
>data.

Thanks, Ben. Fortunately, data access was not the problem -- even with the
RAID volume in a "crashed" state, the files were accessible via SSH and I
rsync'd them to an external USB drive. Thank goodness for small favors.  The
problem is that the Synology device itself never recovered and, after a
factory reset, became completely inaccessible even to Synology's tools.

--
Dan Barrett
dbarrett at blazemonger.com