[Discuss] [OT]Discuss - Software Engineering union

On 04/19/2012 11:03 AM, Matthew Gillen wrote:
> On 4/19/2012 7:28 AM, Mark Woodward wrote:
>> I think, in our society, business has been bashing unions for decades
>> and their message has taken hold. Yes, I grant you there are many
>> examples of absurdity where the unions aren't helping themselves. On the
>> whole, however, the amount of good that unions do far outweigh the few
>> Monty pythonesque moments.
> Just because unions don't always commit egregious stupidity doesn't mean
> that there aren't serious costs associated with them.  At their core,
> unions are another layer of bureaucracy.  Bureaucracy's foremost goal is
> always self-preservation.  That necessarily stands in the way of innovation.
>
> I would argue that in IT, more impediments to innovation are a bad
> thing.  Our profession is going through a revolutionary period.  Perhaps
> unions wouldn't be as harmful to innovation as our patent system is, but
> it would be right up there.
>
>> The IT industry is fairly well paid slave labor.
> I really don't feel that what I do is anything approaching slave labor.
> I honestly can't think of a single thing a union would do for me to make
> my life better. I value flexibility in my schedule.  My employer is
> happy to work with me on that.  I understand the value I provide to the
> business, and make sure that I'm doing things that help the business
> even if it's not strictly in my job description.
>
> I feel that often unions create an adversarial relationship where
> employees no longer feel that the health of the business is their
> problem (the automotive unions are the conical example of this).  That
> would be detrimental to IT at a time when businesses are completely
> re-tooling and re-organizing themselves around IT functions.
>
>> The treatment of IT people is pretty terrible as well.
>>
>> I worked at "Business and Professional Software" on Binney Street,
>> I worked at "Sytron" corporation, they went on a hiring spree...
>>
>> At "TPS" in Cambridge, ...
>>
>> I think we need a union. Looking back on all the crap that I've seen, I
>> hate to think of new people going into this industry without protection.
> This might sound callous, but it sounds like you need to be a little
> more selective in who you work for.  Voluntary employment is voluntary
> on both sides.  If people left a job and got screwed on day one of their
> "new job", whose fault is that?  A bird in the hand... More to the
> point, how would a union have helped in that case?  As an aside, I've
> known far more people that ended up crawling back to their old employers
> after doing (short) stints at startups than I've known people who were
> successful at startups.
>
> Back to my point though: I interviewed at Progressive Insurance when I
> was fresh out of school.  I asked questions about what it was like
> working there.  They were gearing up for a big re-write of their
> mission-critical software that was written in COBOL and whose lineage
> [...]
In it's simplest case, unions exist to give its members a voice.  The
type of unions I feel are the most egregious are the public employees
unions. But, the issue here is not the unions per se, but management.
For instance, you have a town or city, the unions tend to be better
staffed than the government. But also there is a long history of
employee mismanagement in virtually all government divisions. In the
worst case, management tends to give too much to the unions at one point
and then causes real issues especially where taxation is limited.

Bureaucracy exists for good, sound business reasons, but it tends to get
layered and self supporting, especially when the "bureaucrats" become
very inflexible and create their own rules.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix