[Discuss] can you copyright an API?

> From: discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org [mailto:discuss-
> bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org] On Behalf Of Tom Metro
>
> Sun granted a
> royalty-free license to use the applicable patents to everyone,
> regardless of whether they are using OpenJDK or not.

Question: Do you think Google is going to be permitted to sell licenses of
something Sun patented, when Sun conditioned the free use upon the GPL and
Sun sells it under some other license?   No way man.  If Sun granted
royalty-free license to use and distribute the (patented) application under
the terms of GPL, then the royalty-free (patent) license would be
conditioned on the continued compliance to GPL by whoever received it.

If you didn't receive it under the GPL that Sun released, then Sun didn't
license it to you.  It was only licensed to you personally when you received
it under the terms of GPL as a result of Sun releasing it under GPL.