[Discuss] Most Dangerous Operating System

We've all heard about Flashback, an exploit that starts from a security
hole in older versions of Java, a hole that Oracle patched months before
Apple got around to fixing the version they distribute.  I let that
slide because Java isn't Apple's product.

Today, Apple's "most secure operating system" has been caught with its
pants around its ankles.  If you've read Slashdot then you know about
the Legacy FileVault cleartext password logging debug flag.  That's not
what I'm on about but it is related.

What I'm on about is the fact that this code exists in the released
versions of the OS and updates.  I understand the need for debugging in
the development context.  The root of the problem is that this is
implemented as a debugging flag rather than a compilation switch.  Code
like this shouldn't be in release.  It should be completely skipped in
release builds so that the code path can't be exploited.  An attacker
can't exploit something that doesn't exist.

Unlike the Flashback exploit, this one is entirely Apple's fault.  The
fact that this got into the released OS speaks volumes.  First and most
obviously is that Apple's QA department doesn't take security seriously
enough.  How the heck do you miss something like this, and continue to
miss it for three months straight?  Carelessness or ignorance or both.

Second is that Apple's developers don't take security as seriously as
they should.  FileVault is one of the critical pieces of security
infrastructure in their flagship operating system and they treat
password exposure as an on/off switch.  This isn't just the login
password.  It's the Keychain password.  It really is the key to a user's
kingdom.  And they forget to turn it off.  Carelessness and ignorance again.

Apple recently removed Samba from OS X and replaced it with an SMB
server and client developed in-house.  I cannot help but wonder if
Apple's SMB implementation has the same kinds of security-destroying
debug toggles in it.  I wonder the same about iOS since it shares
everything underneath the UI layers.

I used to describe Macintosh as the best Unix desktop in the world.  As
of today I describe Macintosh as the most dangerous operating system in
the world.  It's not the recent, highly-publicized flaws in it.  Rather,
it's the philosophies, the carelessness and ignorance, that permitted
them to occur in the first place.  Security holes can be fixed, but bad
design is forever.

--
Rich P.