[Discuss] More Fun in ZFSland

Richard Pieri <richard.pieri at gmail.com> writes:

> I chose encrypted block devices.  Once I made the decision to encrypt
> at all it was a simple jump to encrypt everything.  It was a little
> more work for the initial setup than creating encrypted containers but
> it will be less work down the line to maintain it.

    Are you familiar with zvol?  Your maintence concern makes it sound
like you may not be.  I certainly can't think of anything I've done with
mine past creation that resembles "maintain".

zfs create -V 10G pool/myzvol

produces a 10 gigabyte block device in /dev/zvol/pool/myzvol (give or
take how your OS handles the details), that gets it blocks from your
zpool.

    The major price is that your encrypted volume will have travel
through the zpool layer twice.  But you won't pay for encryption on your
music library.  Which way you want to pay is your call, obviously.