[Discuss] How can I resume from S1 (STR) mode in Ubuntu?

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 09:57:53AM -0400, Kurt Keville wrote:
> Thanks... I'll give that a test... my big problem is (or will be)
> lack of physical access to the servers and I figure this has to have
> been bumped into out there in Datacenterland by someone... Federico
> pointed me at powernap which appears to have some hook options that
> might fit the criteria...

Another potential solution to this, depending on the details of your
arrangement, is to set up console access on the serial port, and then
use a terminal server or similar device to access the console over the
serial port.  Especially if you're going to have a rack full of
servers set up this way, it can come in quite handy.

  http://www.howtoforge.com/setting_up_a_serial_console

IIRC server-class hardware (maybe all hardware these days?) can also
be configured to provide bios access on a serial port, e.g.:

  http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00440332/c00440332.pdf

I agree with Jerry that your server machines should have ACPI power
settings disabled so they just never sleep.  Much modern hardware does
have a wake-on-lan feature, though IIRC you need to send it a
particular type of network message for that to work (and it needs to
be enabled).  But there's really no reason for a machine intended to
act as a server to ever go to sleep, unless you are the only one who
will ever access it, and you're prepared to wake it up every time you
want to do so.

-=-=-=-=-