[Discuss] RHEL 6.2 Subscription Manager

On 05/22/2012 04:04 PM, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> I have a valid version of RHEL 6.2 at work. I installed it as a Virtual
> Machine with a Host-only network, which means no Internet. This will be
> used for out Financial Engineers to run our products on their Windows
> laptops.
> While installing this I specified not to subscribe to RHN but when
> logged in as root I get an icon that tells me I have an invalid
> certificate. When I click on it I get the subscription manager. Does
> anyone know how to disable this notification.

Yesterday I disabled and stopped the rhnsd service, but I missed the
rhsmcertd service which is the service that controls the subscription
manager. I was able to disable rhsmcertd, but not stop it either through
the gui or command line. A reboot shows that the rhsmcertd is stopped.
The second issue here is a daemon process, rhsm-icon. This process is
apparently the guy that posts the icon regarding the certificate. There
is an rhsmd entry in /etc/cron.daily, but as I read the comments, this
only writes into syslog. I can kill the rhsm-icon, but it does start
during boot, but not directly from any of the scripts in /etc/init.d.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix