[Discuss] Jury finds that Google did not violate any patents.

On 05/25/2012 10:39 AM, Richard Pieri wrote:
> Yep.
>
> Oracle is going to continue to pursue this.  They spent a lot of money
> in the Sun acquisition with the intent of going after Google and they
> want to recoup that investment.

Possibly. Based on the SCO vs Novell experience they probably will.
(Note that Oracle has both the SCO and the Novell attorneys). I think if
Oracle were to appeal this decision, it could go all the way up to
SCOTUS, and possibly jeopardize many other of their patents.
Essentially, it is not about recouping their investment in a failing
computer company, recouping their investment in the litigation. They had
a number of their patents they were asserting in this case invalidated
by the USPO. In any case, they are now into the third phase, damages. In
this particular case, the judge has taken steps to prevent judicial
mistakes. The case was complex in that there was both copyrights and
patents. Google admitted to the copyright violation in 9 lines of code.
I don't see any significant damages assessed on Google, especially to
where Oracle failed to submit a real damage report. (Their damages
reports were rejected). The real issue that Oracle should consider is
the cost of the future litigation worth any damages they could possibly
obtain. Certainly there is the Ellison/Hurd/Boies egos vs. Larry Page's
ego. And remember there is also the HP vs. Oracle case where Oracle
withdrew support for the Itanium chip. In any case, I don't have access
to the numbers, and Oracle needs to weight the cost of pursuing this vs.
the risk. The attorneys are all gpoing to win no matter what.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix