[Discuss] SSD

I was just recently digging into sees for some database logging.  What I
have found is that newer consumer drives are faster and cheaper but have a
shorter write life than older generation drives.  This is because the 25nm
mlc has fewer write cycles than the old 34nm.  And fewer still than "high
endurance" mlc which is found in enterprise sees such as Intel 710 .  And
of course fewer still than slc. That being said for most applications even
consumer drives will outlay their 3-5 year warranty.

There is also the facter of controller reliability an features. And there
is alot to consider there.

We ended up Going with the Samsung 830s.  256gig was on sale at newegg for
$220.  This has consumer mlc but 256 gave us plenty of over provisioning.
And the Samsung controller is right there in reliability with Intel at a
lower price.