[Discuss] Disk/Tape Eraser

At work years ago we had a bulk eraser.  It had a moving belt, about
8" wide, 3' long, heavy as sin (if you go for the heavies :)
Ran off of AC, and hummed like a kazoo band.  But we could erase any
size of tape very well easily.  But it wasn't worth getting out for 1
or two.

It might have worked on disk drives, only because they tend to have
non-ferrous components except for the media, but I felt better by
first using an 2 or 3 pass erase programs (some that believed the CIA
urban legend or reading 20 or 30 writings ago due to hysterisis memory
always said that 2 or 3 passes isn't enough).  Anyway, we then gave
them to friends who liked abusing computer components with guns ( 45
cal was their favorite ) then it went to the metal recycler.  Once it
got there, I figured it was safe (erase, abuse, recycle).

In later years, we paid to get a 'certified recycler' who guaranteed
destruction.  But I still did a bit of overwighting and erasing first.
... Belts and suspenders and all that you know.

Remember: Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.