[Discuss] Disk/Tape Eraser

On 6/12/2012 7:07 AM, scottmarydavidsam at gmail.com wrote:
> I've got one of the Radio Shack bulk erasers that Shirley mentioned. The
> problem is that unless you reconnect the disk to verify that it's wiped,
> you never really know. Last batch, I just took a hammer to them. Never say
> never, but it'll be pretty hard for someone to read a disk with a 1/2 in.
> deflection in it.
> Call me the paranoid and cynical one,
> Scott

Floppies erase easily so I'd trust the bulk eraser on those. Some
computer tapes are hard to erase so caution is advised there.

Hard drives have to be disassembled to erase with a tape eraser, and
once you've done that you might as well just shatter the glass platters
which is what all modern drives contain. Older drives had metal
platters; those would take more effort to break.