[Discuss] [OT]iPad for 90 year old.

> From: discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org [mailto:discuss-
> bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org] On Behalf Of Jerry Feldman
>
> WiFi. She has a Kindle and can use that so a tablet would not be too
> foreign. A couple of questions:

Do you mean the old kindle?  Or the android kindle?
If it's the android kindle, I don't see any need to get *another* tablet.

> 1. Can the builtin Apple book reader download and read Kindle books, or
> would she need to install the kindle app. I like the style of Apple's
> book reader.

You have to install the kindle app if you paid for amazon books.

> 2. Would the iPad be intuitive enough for someone who has never used a
> computer.

Either ipad or android tablets are *both* intutive enough for such a person.

> 3. The reason for not considering Android tablets is the lack of
> training available close by.
> I personally consider the iPad the best overall tablet other than it is
> fully locked down.

I personally don't think you need any training on either platform.  My mom
didn't need any training on the ipad, and my Dad didn't need any training on
android.  Well...  10 minutes each.  The biggest hurdle is creating either a
google or apple account.  Both of these data points are *very* significant.
My dad doesn't know how to use a mouse or a keyboard.  I am not
exaggerating, I bought him a computer once 15 yrs ago, and it was a waste of
$700.  It's still sitting there.

For other purposes, I think android is hands-down better in nearly every
way, but for the present situation, I would agree having the apple store
across the street is probably good.  Somebody is probably bound to toggle
off the wifi by accident someday, or something like that.