[Discuss] Thunderbird

I can't say that I've ever seen T-bird freeze like that and I've been
using it on-and-off for-practically-evar.  My first suspicion is where
you keep your Drafts folder.  My guess is server-side.  Network hiccups
that would go unnoticed otherwise could cause T-bird to block on
auto-saves.  There are also server-side issues with large, monolithic
mbox files.  Not necessarily *your* files, just large files in general.

I used Evolution for a while because the gig had Exchange without the
IMAP connector.  I didn't like it.  It tries too hard to be just like
Outlook except when it doesn't and then things get wonky.  Fixing the
wonky took longer than I felt it was worth so I switched to a
movemail-like fetcher run from cron or at or something (I don't remember
how I set it up) and Thunderbird for regular mail handling.

But whatever you do, stay away from Apple Mail on Lion.  It's a good MUA
but it is a step backwards from the Leopard/Snow Leopard version in
terms of usability.  I expect Mountain Lion's version to be even more
iPad-like (read: less usable).

--
Rich P.