[Discuss] Class action against "Secure Boot"

On 06/22/2012 10:12 AM, Mark Woodward wrote:
> I was thinking, if Microsoft gets its way, it will use what's left of
> its monopoly power to restrict access to the PC boot infrastructure. In
> principal I have no problem with a secure boot system, as long as I have
> control over what *I* allow to boot. The problem is when *I* have to ask
> or pay someone else to use *my* property the way that I want.
>
> If this roles out and is sufficiently troublesome to freedom, do you
> think we can sue?

My hope is that linux is widespread enough now that people will vote
with their dollars (i.e. only buy machines that are not locked down).
The "protection" it offers for end-users is negligible, and enough
people are savvy enough with linux to understand the cost/benefit is not
in their favor.

If this had been rolled out 10 years ago, it would have been a serious
detriment to linux adoption.  Nowadays...I think there's a decent chance
no lawyers are needed.

Any time companies try this, an active community dedicated to thwarting
stupidity and arbitrary restrictions springs up (witness the number of
sites dedicated to cracking open Android bootloaders).

Matt