[Discuss] [OT] Retailers going out of business

On 06/25/2012 03:03 PM, Mark Woodward wrote:
> I just had one of those experiences....
>
> I wanted to buy a computer/HDMI projector. I kind of wanted it today
> because I'm on vacation and want to toy around with it. Needless to
> say, I looked around. I looked at staples, best buy and Microcenter.
> My son and I went to Best Buy first, saw one "on sale" 3000 lumens,
> 1600x1200 resolution, and a good price. We then went to Microcenter
> and it was clear that Best Buy had the better price. We had planned
> for that, and it was on our way home.
>
> So, we go to best buy. I grab a floor person and say I want "that"
> one. Well, guess what, its not in stock and they don't even carry it
> any more. Someone tell me why its on the shelf!
>
> I then went next door to staples, found an equivalent model, $24.98
> cheaper. Golden. Pick the card off the shelf and hand it to the floor
> person, and guess what, they don't keep them in stock!
>
> I hear all the time that brick and mortar stores are going out of
> business. It is perfectly clear to me why. If I can't shop for an item
> and buy it at the store, why would I waste my time going to the store?
> Sure they can "order it" for me, well, yea, so can I, probably cheaper
> than they can.
>
> This my friends is why these companies are going out of business. Its
> really sad because I really dislike shopping on the Internet. When I
> decide to buy something, I want to buy it. Who here agrees? Someone
> has to tell these knuckle heads they are doing it wrong.

Change is the bottom line. For instance, the small grocery stores became
supermarkets. The big giants (eg A&P) did not execute properly. They are
still in business, but not anywhere near what they were. There are very
few small electronics store left. Best Buy needs to improve their
business model. I've been on a "What happened to DEC" discussion on
LinkedIn. The bottom line there is they failed to recognize and execute
on the changing market and computer commoditization. Sometimes you have
to make painful changes. In computers you are competing with purely
online retailers, like Amazon and NewEgg, you are competing with
Wal*Mart, BJs, CostCo, then Best Buy, Staples. Niche stores  like the
Apple Store survive with great customer service. I am amazed at the
wireless stores where very few employees know how many bits there are in
a byte. I bought my mother an iPad because I knew she could go across
the street and get help. If I got her an Android, they would be as
clueless as she is.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix