[Discuss] Verizon wireless "mandatory" dataplan

On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 3:53 PM, Tom Metro <tmetro+blu at gmail.com> wrote:
> Bill Bogstad wrote:
>> I would suggest that you speak to Verizon directly about this.
>
> That seems like the best advice.
>
> I can see how Verizon would do this as a bundling approach. "If you want
> the iPhone from us, then you need to sign a contract for a plan that
> includes data." But I don't see how they'd justify it if you brought
> your own phone to join to an existing plan.

Why do they need to "justify" it?   If the FCC doesn't stop them, they
can pretty much do whatever
they like.   I've read that they are "concerned" that users with
smartphones and no data plans are likely to incur huge charges for
"pay as you go" data.   Not allowing smartphones to be activated
without a data plan is their way to "protect" their customers.   I
suspect that some people have in fact have racked up huge charges this
way.   Personally, I could use a little less protection.   The options
seem to be second tier providers (MetroPCS, etc...) or pay as you go.
 Not surprisingly, this usually requires buying an unsubsidized phone
which turns out to be pretty expensive.

Bill Bogstad