[Discuss] OT: a Noplan Phone?

On 7/8/2012 6:04 PM, Richard Pieri wrote:
> On 7/8/2012 4:57 PM, Gregory Boyce wrote:
>> Sounds like you essentially want an iPod touch or the Android equivalent.
>> There have been a few 5" or smaller "tablets".
>
> I suggest a slightly different approach.  Go to the T-Mobile to Go site
> and find an Android phone that you like.  Buy it with the one month
> pre-paid plan.  Then activate airplane mode which turns off all of the
> radio transceivers.  Turn WiFi back on.  Let the one month expire.
>
> You then have an Android device that doesn't totally suck, doesn't cost
> you a leg plus an arm every month for two years, has a speaker and mic
> so you don't require a headset, and can still be used to make 911 calls
> if you aren't in range of an available access point.
>
> I suggest T-Mobile because they have a good selection of Android devices
> and they're not Cingular/AT&T.

Or buy a Galaxy Nexus directly from Google, get a prepaid SIM from
T-Mobile ($0.99 if you order it online) and follow the same plan. I
know, I know, I should shut up about my phone... but it is nicer than
any of the prepaid phones that T-Mobile offers. Though not quite as nice
as the Galaxy S3 that you can get under contract - but then, what is?