[Discuss] Tired of unreliable external drives... recommendations?

> From: discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org [mailto:discuss-
> bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org] On Behalf Of Daniel Barrett
>
> I'm seeking advice on external hard drives for Linux system backup....

For a few years, I've been doing similar stuff.  I'm using zfs instead of
rsync, but same basic idea.  About 3-4 years ago, I struggled with the same
realiability problem you're describing.  I tried all sorts of enclosures and
brands of drives.  I can only say a few things:

Definitely the eSATA is more reliable than USB.  (Not to mention, faster.)

Unfortunately, USB has a higher probability of *actually* playing nice plug
'n play.  On my system, I reboot every time I swap external eSATA disks.  I
am content with this sacrifice, because the speed & reliability make it
worth while.

I bought an eSATA card for my server (turns out, they also have
internal-to-external slot filler adapters, should also be a good choice.)

I'm using SansDigital external enclosure.  I'm not in love with it, but it's
reliable, and I couldn't find anything better.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816111153
I bought spare rails/latch/caddy/whatever you want to call it.  Saves time.
And the spare leather carrying case.

Within each manufacturer, they make enterprise-grade, and mid-grade, and
low-grade, and green drives.  Try your best to steer clear of the cheap
and/or junk green commodity drives.  I don't know how to steer you any
better than that.  Be superstitious.

For example, what's the difference between these 4 drives?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136772
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136783
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136579
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136365

I don't know, but ... One of them has only 2 yr warranty, and another is
green.  I would stay away from them both.  This leaves the RE4 and the
RE4-GP.  What's the difference there?  Looks like "GP" means "green"
something.  So again, ...  Between these 4 drives, I would settle on the
RE4.

What's the difference between these two?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148900
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148610
I see the RPM difference, but aside from that, I'm just betting the
constellation is a better drive.  It says "Enterprise" and ... to me, that
means something.

I know this is imprecise, and full of guesswork.  But so far it seems to be
working for me...