[Discuss] Moving servers from NIS to LDAP

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 02:53:11PM -0400, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> Our company's servers are moving from the Boston facility to IBM's
> facilities, and we will have to replace NIS with LDAP. We don't get to
> vote, NIS will be replaced.

You sound sad about this.  You probably shouldn't.  NIS is dead; it's
hard to secure, and easy to spoof.  It's been a dying (dead?)
technology for years, and LDAP (or AD, which is essentially LDAP) has
been the standard replacement for it since maybe about 1999 (there are
others, naturally).  It might be a pain to deal with the migration,
but it's really a small pain (as migrations go), and your environment
will likely be much more secure for it.  This is not news to you;
people on this list have been telling you to use LDAP instead of NIS
for years.  :)

Of course, if loss of control over the environment is what you're
lamenting, it was bound to happen...  Resistance is futile. =8^)
The good news is, it's probably one less thing you'll need to pay
attention to, at least for the most part.

-=-=-=-=-