[Discuss] Discuss Digest, Vol 14, Issue 21

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 12:14:26PM -0700, Rich Braun wrote:
> Richard Pieri <richard.pieri at gmail.com> understated thus:
> > Technical superiority clearly is an insignificant factor in the
> > consumer decision making process.
>
> I started my career in a vanpool sharing rides with engineers from the Rainbow
> Project.  That project was a day late/dollar short but came out with some
> great technology.  Everyone's heard of the IBM PC by now, but Rainbow is not a
> name that anyone's ever heard of.  (Perhaps someone on /this/ list has. ;-)

DEC Rainbow. Early PC not-a-clone. Had a Z-80 as well as an
8086, you could boot to either one... and it was expensive, hard
to find, and not supported by anybody except DEC, so nobody
bought any.

I'm not sure it was great technology. Not compared to, say, the
GIGI color graphics terminal-almost-but-not-quite-a-computer.
That was cool.

-dsr-