[Discuss] Google's Nexus 7

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 04:00:16PM -0400, Richard Pieri wrote:
> On 7/12/2012 8:36 AM, Kent Borg wrote:
> >But price *does* matter and Jelly Bean is good enough that someone's Mom
> >will be able to figure it out. (And she might like that it is physically
> >small and light.)
>
> Base model iPad 3 is $500.  Base model Tab 2 10.1 is $400.  Samsung
> has a technically superior OS.  It has a comparable or superior
> device with that superior OS for $100 less than Apple.  And it's
> still getting clobbered by more than 10:1.
>
> The consumers have spoken: price is not a determining factor.

$400 is a lot of money in this economy. It's groceries for two
weeks for a whole family. It's a 36" HDTV for the kids. It's
six weekend trips to the movies. It's an XBOX 360, a Kinect, and
a game or two. It's new tires.

So. Among the people for whom $400 or more on a tablet makes
sense, going an extra $100 does not matter much.

Now look at the group of people who would like a tablet, but
can't justify $400 or $500 at all. Quite a few can justify $200,
especially at the holiday season with a bunch of geeky friends
who have been raving about the good cheap tablets all fall.

-dsr-