[Discuss] iPhone vs. Android - the backup problem

On 7/19/2012 12:52 AM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
> On android, if you have root, you can use titanium backup.  It will backup
> all your apps & app configs.  But as far as I know, nothing can backup the
> actual android state - layout of your homescreen etc, knowledge of wifi etc,
> google/exchange/whatever account usernames & pass, etc.

The only way to do this is to install and boot a custom recovery like
Clockwork and make a Nandroid backup.  This does not address the OP's
requirements since a Nandroid backup is an image set of the entire
internal NAND flash and restoring such backups entails wiping the
partitions and restoring the entire image set.

Nobody has ever made a PDA or smartphone or tablet that does everything
that the OP demands.  Closest is probably the Treo line running PalmOS
and those requires tethers which the OP can't be bothered to use.

--
Rich P.