[Discuss] HDTV's as a computer monitor

On Sat, 2012-07-21 at 19:49 -0400, John Abreau wrote:
> I picked up a 13-inch HDMI monitor last year to use on an Efika MX Smarttop,
> and I found that it clipped the edges of the display so that I could
> not see the
> menubar at the top of the screen or the panel at the bottom of the screen.
>
> I never tried it on another HDMI display, so I'm unsure if this was a problem
> specific to the 13-inch display, or if this is typical of all HDTV
> displays that
> are designed primarily for use as TVs.

That's caused by the overscan region, an idea that dates back to CRTs
that for some reason TV manufacturers insist on configuring on LCD
HDTVs. Some screens can turn off overscan, some can't -- we have a 60"
Sony LCD HDTV we use instead of a projector in a meeting room, and had
to dig very deep into the menus to turn off overscan on the HDMI inputs
(I think the option was "Pixel-for-pixel" under Zoom or something) while
a cheap Dynatek (sp?) 40" TV we bought at Best Buy doesn't have an
option to turn overscan off.

(This has been a headache for the Raspberry Pi, since it's often used
with HDTVs - a config file had to be provided to allow overscan
adjustments).

-Chris