[Discuss] Oracle Linux, going after CentOs

Yes, Oracle does want to go "big time" in Linux, and yes, Redhat is the target.

Oracle watched with interest as big banks began displacing (Sun and others)
in favor of RHEL, and other linux, and then ran the apps and databases
on top of Linux.

Oracle wants to provide full vertical integration, from hardware to app, and to
support the whole thing on -their- platform.   It is the "one neck to choke"
support paradigm.   Or, at least be as vertical as they can.

They're willing to compete with their own Solaris to do it.  It is a different
business unit, but one with heavy strategic backing.

Oracle wants to be the next RedHat, and they're hiring many Redhat
employees.   They think they can do it, at a better price point.  Then they
 have the leg up, in that it is their strategic, heavily supported and
recommended platform for their (and other) apps.    One shrinkwrapped
distro with apps.

They're willing to undercut on price to gain a foothold.  They're willing to
think long term.  They're going after big accounts and doing whatever it
takes to get the business.    They're doing virtualization too.

Redhat makes lots and lots of money on training and support.   They're
in the dominant position, and Oracle wants it.

Linux is "open" enough that they could pull it off.

If you have not noticed, Larry is a very wealthy, and competitive guy.
He doesn't like to loose.    If he sees that Oracle Linux can beat Solaris,
he'll continue to support it strategically, even if it means hurting Solaris.

....best...Jim