[Discuss] Oracle Linux, going after CentOs

On 7/26/2012 11:55 AM, Martin Owens wrote:
> Linux, like so many commons, has just becomes a part of everything. The
> economic value of it is so staggering that you would not and possibly
> could not pay out it's true economic impact. Thankfully we don't pay
> what the value of things to us, we hope to pay a bit less than that.

As of March this year, Red Hat developers have contributed 11.9% of the
code in the Linux kernel with 10.7% of the code since 2.6.36.  Red Hat
is the most significant contributor of code to the Linux kernel in the
world.  IBM is number two at around 7.5%.  This is just kernel code.  It
doesn't include other code and tools like RPM and Anaconda.

Seen in that light, a $500 per annum Red Hat support contract is a bargain.

--
Rich P.