[Discuss] Fighting UEFI

On 7/28/2012 6:23 PM, Guy Gold wrote:
> IMO, Secure-Boot is going to be a big hit (and I hope I'm wrong).

I'm of the opposed opinion.  Consumers can't be trusted to keep their
computers free of rootkits and other malware.  They don't care.  UEFI
Secure Boot will block a rooted Windows box from booting.  It'll block a
rooted Linux or FreeBSD box from booting, too.

Works for me.

> and then, one day, that system drifts into a Linux user, that wants to
> dual-boot, or nuke WIN all together , and...Oops.. NO GO.

Question: how is this at all different from trying to install Linux on a
compy with a Sony badge on it?  Answer: not in the least.  Linux has
never been 100% on Sony kit.  Same goes for every other Microsoft
partner OEM for the last 20+ years.  If Linux isn't an option at ship
time then there is a chance that something won't work right.  It could
be cosmetic like the function keys not working.  It could be a breaker
like the disk controller not working at all.  It could be anything in
between.  This is today.  Right now.  Without Secure Boot.  Where's the
stink about Sony and Dell and HP and Gateway and Acer and Toshiba and
Lenovo and the rest "taking away our rights" by shipping kit with
Windows-only hardware in it?

If you try to install Linux on a computer that shipped with Windows then
you should be prepared for it not to work before you even plug it in.
I've had too many problems at work trying to install Linux on Windows
computers due to video and disk controller issues.  No.  If it shipped
with Windows then it's automatically unsupportable beyond a best effort.

If you buy a computer that ships with Windows expecting to install Linux
on it then it's your own damned fault when it doesn't work.  You didn't
do your research before swiping the plastic so you have nobody to blame
but yourself.  Not Microsoft.  Not the OEM.  Not the retailer.  You.

--
Rich P.